I absolutely believe in a low carbohydrate diet. I feel (and look) my best when my diet includes next to no carbs. But unless life is working like clockwork it’s really hard to maintain. The foods I always miss when I’m doing the low/no carb thing are bread, potato and chocolate. Nothing really beats vegemite on fresh bread or toast!
The Linseed Granary Loaf is the bee’s knees of carb free bread in terms of taste and nutrition. Linseed meal is the byproduct of extracting the oil from flaxseed. The levels of lignans found in flaxseed / linseed are 800 times more powerful as an antioxidant than vitamin E. This is the loaf they were thinking of when they added that line about having your daily bread!
Other benefits include:
- very low GI
- high in dietary fibre
- rich source of Omega-3
- rich source of vitamin b
- rich source of selenium – excellent for your complexion
- helps with cholesterol
- helps with bloating
- controls yeast
- calms irritable bowel syndrome
- all round good guy with a very nutty taste
What you’ll need:
- 2 cups of linseed/flaxseed meal
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp chia seeds – optional
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 tbsp of sugar or sugar substitute (Sugar substitute – Stevia ensures just 0.8g of carbs per slice, more if you use white or brown sugar)
- ½ cup of water
- 1/3 cup oil
- 5 eggs beaten
What you’ll need to do:
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees
- Line a bread tin with baking paper (butter the tin before you put the paper in to keep the paper in place)
- Mix dry ingredients together really well
- Mix wet ingredients together
- Combine ingredients and ensure it is well mixed. It will be runny – not like dough at all.
- Let stand for 2-3 minutes to stiffen a bit
- Pour batter into the tin and pop in the oven for 20 minutes to start with – but depending on your oven it could be in for a lot longer.
- Keep checking the batter and skewering it to check for bits left on the skewer
- Remove when top has browned and there are no bits on the skewer, let it cool down on a cake rack.
- Vegemite isn’t so great on this bread but fresh butter is amazing.
Enjoy! Guilt free bread